Real ID

The Qagan Tayagungin Tribe is working to prepare tribal citizens for the new travel ID requirements coming with the passage of the federal Real ID Act. The residents of Alaska are required to be compliant with the new strict ID requirements starting October 1, 2021

According to TSA, they should accept “federally recognized tribal IDs”, however it is unclear if these IDs will be acceptable for the federally recognized standard. Currently, QTT is working to update tribal IDs to reflect the same information included on the REAL ID, but we are encouraging tribal citizens to get prepared to obtain a REAL ID in case the tribal ID is not recognized by TSA for travel on commercial aircraft.


What do I need to bring?

Proof of your Legal Name, Date of Birth and Citizenship/Lawful Status

Bring ONE:

  • Original or certified copy of US birth certificate (not laminated) from Vital Statistics (photocopies or stamped copies are NOT valid)
  • Passport of passport card issued by the United States or U.S. Territory
  • A foreign passport with appropriate immigration status forms issued by the US Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Service.
  • A resident alien, temporary resident alien or employment work authorization document issued by the US Dept of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Service.
  • An Alaska Instruction permit or Alaska State Identification Card
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Naturalization or Birth Abroad.
  • Out of State Real ID

*** Please note: if your legal name is different than what is printed on your primary document you must bring documents) that provide proof of your name change. You must update your name with social security before changing your name with the DMV.

Proof of your principal residence: The following items are acceptable for proving your principal residence. The document must show your residence address, not a post office box or other mailing address. Even if the document describes where you live, (IE. first house past the school on the left) it can be accepted as long as there are two documents with the same description of where you live.

Bring TWO – one document must be issued within the past 90 days of applying for your REAL ID:

  • Utility bill
  • Alaska voter registration card
  • Alaska title and/or registration (issued at least 30 days prior to application)
  • Paycheck stub
  • Medical assistance card
  • Public assistance card
  • Canceled check or bank statement
  • Mortgage or rental documents
  • Letter from employer on the company letterhead verifying applicant’s residence address
  • Letter from non-profit, church or tribe on letterhead, not hand-written, confirming location of residence
  • Post marked letter (could be from yourself to yourself, as long as it has the written physical location of your residence NOT YOUR PO BOX and is post marked).

Proof of your Social Security Number

  • Social Security Card
  • W2 with full social security number printed on the document
  • Pay stub with full social security number printed on the document

***Please note: Instead of a social security card, you may bring another document issued by the United States Social Security Administration of the United States Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service that show both your name and social security number. 

Proof of Name Change (if you have changed your legal name)

If you have had a name change, the DMV must be able to establish the connection between your old and new name, through one of the following documents below. The document must be an original or certified copy of the original issued by a government agency.

Bring ONE:

  • US Passport (Must be current)
  • Amended birth certificate
  • Certified adoption papers, marriage certificate, court order or divorce decree
  • Certificate of Dissolution, Divorce or Annulment
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Name Change

***Please Note: If you have previously obtained an Alaska instruction permit or Alaska State ID and in your current name, you are not required to bring any of these additional documents. 

So to RECAP you must have: 

  • Proof of identity, such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, employment authorization document, permanent resident card, or foreign passport with an approved form I-94.
  • Proof of your Social Security Number, such as an SSN card, W-2, or pay stub with full SSN.
  • Two documents for proof of residency (proving physical address), such as a rental or lease agreement, mortgage bill, utility bill or employment, medical or school document. One must be issued within a 90 day period from the time you apply for your Real ID.
  • If applicable: An original or certified copy of a name change document, such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree, may be required.

Helpful Links and Forms

Start gathering documents now. Don’t wait as getting originals is a lengthy and expensive process.

Don't have access to a printer? These forms can also be found at the Qagan Tayagungin Tribal Office located in the City building!

Links to forms and requests to obtain documents:

a.       Social Security Card
e.      Passport Application:
f.       Voter Registration:
Website links for more information: